Missed periods. Bloating in lower abdomen, extreme breast tenderness, nausea, pulling sensation below navel. What could it be?

Mar 2016

I have missed two cycles last period 9 May. Usually very regular 29 days lasting 3 to 4 days .For the past several weeks
bloating in lower abdomen , extreme breast tenderness, nausea on waking and after eating , weepyness ... and now a pulling sensation just below navel.
Negative pregnancy test yesterday.
Age 42
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

The very first thing, you need to undergo one blood test for beta-hCG to rule out late conception. It is more confirmatory than usual home pregnancy test.

In absence of pregnancy, there are some other reasons which are associated with above said clinical features like hormonal ups & downs (in perimenopausal age), mental stress/ depression, existing ovarian cyst, hypothyroid state, over weight/ rapid loss, improper diet habit, pelvic infection, certain medication etc.

Some basic investigations are required under the guidance of your gynecologist to identify the possible causes in the absence of pregnancy. Here, you would need a complete health check up along with pelvic ultrasound scan, complete hormone assay, test for ovarian reserve, blood sugar & prolactin level etc to pin point the diagnosis.

Proper treatment can only be made after diagnosis of the case. You may require hormonal medication with other supportive therapy. Therefore, I suggest to consult with your gynecologist at the earliest for complete evaluation.

Till then, you can do the following things:

1) Take healthy diet with low carbohydrate & more vegetables. Avoid all junk/ fast/ spicy food stuffs. Control body weight.

2) Try to avoid stress/ depression (it has great impact on delaying period) by yoga or meditation or deep breathing exercise (15-20 minutes) regularly.

3) Iron supplements may be needed. Drink plenty of water/ fluid and always take sound sleep.

Hope, I have answered your query. Let me know if you need clarifications or have any other query.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Missed periods. Bloating in lower abdomen, extreme breast tenderness, nausea, pulling sensation below navel. What could it be? 12 hours later
Thank you Dr Soumen.
I have been a vegan for several
years now , exercise and run
4 to 5 days a week ...
very in tuned to my body -
so this has been quite interesting.
I am usually 123 lbs and have gained
5 pounds ... definitely not from over eating.
and my shape seems to be changing
( chest , abs and hips ) feeling quite
heavy lately.
I have two children both who were only
able to confirm through blood hcg.
Contacted our GP and they want to wait
and see if my period starts next week
before proceeding with tests.
We did just find out a less than a week
ago that we are relocating which has brought a bit
of stress , but quite used to moving
and have never had disturbance of cycles in the past.
Temps are running 98.7 ...
Is it possible to stop cycles with perimenapause
and have all of these symptoms so suddenly ?
I have always heard that it is a progression .
Very strange that I had very regular 4 day periods
and then just stopped -
comes down to the blood work I guess.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 28 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up query with additional information.

Hormonal disturbance has significant role during perimenopausal age, leading to irregular cycle in association with other factors. Menopausal change does not occur so abruptly, but it occurs gradually over the time period. These may be some signs of early stage.

However, I recommend to undergo blood test for beta-hCG to rule out possible pregnancy at the earliest. It is more confirmatory.

In absence of pregnancy, some other investigations (as mentioned earlier) are needed to carry out under the guidance of gynecologist to diagnose the case properly. Take suggestive treatment according to test reports.

Hope, it helps for your understanding. If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion.

Take care yourself. Good luck.

Dr Soumen