Missed period, pregnancy test negative, had abortion in past. What could be the reason?

Not sure if I should be worried if I'm pregnant. I am ~4 - 7 days late, my cycle tends to be 29 - 33 days but it is now day 38. Took pregnancy test on day 36 but came back negative. My cycle has always been consistent.. it the last six years, the longest cycle has been 35 days.
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later

I went through the details with diligence. I shall try to address your concerns in the best way as I can.

1. First response early detection test is most often accurate and reliable. False results are rare but a few cases have been reported.

2. Based on the details, you seem to have involved in sexual intercourse though protected during the unsafe period of menstrual cycle. Therefore you have meagre chances of getting pregnancy.

3. The symptoms of reduced appetite, extreme moodiness and others commonly occur whenever there is a delayed period. It doesn't necessarily mean pregnancy.

In all, the practical chances of pregnancy based on the details provided are minimal. However I would recommend repeat tests. You can consider either blood hCG analysis or an ultrasound scan done now or in the next couple of days. Your gynecologist will know about these tests. Further she can also prescribe you drugs to induce periods once pregnancy is ruled out.

Hope I am clear to you. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Good Luck!!!