Missed period, negative pregnancy test, abdominal cramps associated with BM. Have acid reflux

Question
I have missed a period this month. X2 home pregnancy tests -negative. Noticed a right lower quadrant pain on palpation this morning. Otherwise a dull ache/no discomfort. No blood loss/spotting noticed. Yesterday morning I experienced episodes lower abdominal cramps akin to mild period pains but each it came on it was associated with a bowel movement - formed stool, moderate amounts and a lot of wind. Happened over a few hours -five times in total Now resolved. . No change in urine output/frequency/volume. No other medical conditions known except acid reflux - on gavisgon x4 daily and omeprazole x1 (not taken regularly). Age 50 in August. Height - 5'3'. Weight- 79kg
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 23 minutes later
Hi there.

Do you have irregular menstrual cycles since recently ?

Have you been having un-protected sexual intercourse recently ?

Do you have any feeling of nausea, fever ?

It appears that you may be having an infection in your stomach or bowels which may be causing the increased frequency of passing stools. It can be classified under diarrhea by definition. Also since there is wind associated with the bowel movement it is strongly going in favor of a bowel infection.

Sometimes period pains can also be associated with bowel disturbances. If you have been having un-protected sexual intercourse recently, one must also keep in mind the possibility of Ectopic pregnancy which may not show up on regular Pregnancy tests as well, so kindly monitor the pain in the right lower abdominal region. If you develop giddiness, weakness, increase in right lower quadrant abdominal pain then you must be taken to the Hospital just to be safe.

You may take some cold milk for relief from acid reflux right now, if any symptoms are present. Avoid spicy food, oily food, smoking, alcohol. Do daily brisk walking for 40 minutes a day to improve health.

If the symptoms do not subside you can take Tablet Imodium under medical supervision to arrest loose stools. Keep well hydrated. It would be best to get a consult with a Doctor at the Emergency Room for specific treatment which may include use of antibiotics, commonly Ciprofloxacin which is broad spectrum and takes care of most bowel infections. You may also require an ultrasound to rule out any sinister pathology as well.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.