Missed period, negative HPT. Had spotting during the period date. Pregnant?

Mar 2016

Am I pregnant For the past three months I've been keeping track of my period, I've been having 29 day cycles, but here it is day 35 and still no period, taken 7 negative pregnancy test. Last month my period was irregular, I spotted for four days before my period. WHAT'S GOING ON??????
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for posting query. I have gone through your history in details.

The chances of pregnancy depends on timing of ovulation and unprotected sex. 6-8 days are fertile period around ovulation time in regular period. That being said, pregnancy test gives positive result 95% around missed period; but 95-99% result is achieved after 7 days of due date. As you are 6 days due from the expected date, I would suggest repeat testing to completely rule out pregnancy. You could consider one of the below test for more accurate results:
1) A blood test for Beta-HCG as early pregnancy test may give false negative result.
2) Ultrasound scan for lower abdomen to confirm intrauterine pregnancy.

In addition, other reasons for delayed period include hormonal imbalance, irregular eating habit, stress/anxiety, ovarian cyst or PCOD, thyroid problem, psychological factors, overweight or extreme weight loss, etc. The possibilities can be narrowed by means of other tests such as LH / FSH level, blood estrogen and progesterone levels, thyroid profile along with blood sugar if pregnancy is ruled out and periods do not start in the next week.

A gynecologist can help you guide through the tests after a physical examination. Therefore I would urge you to consult one nearby if repeat pregnancy tests come negative.

In the mean time, the following measures can be helpful:
1) Avoid stress by yoga/deep breathing regularly.
2) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
3) Drink plenty of fluids/water and eat leafy vegetables.
4) Maintain personal hygiene and need proper sleeping.
5) Control body weight by regular light exercise.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future...