Missed period, light spotting, bloating, tender breasts. Could I be pregnant?

Hi, I'm late four days to my period and I just noticed light spotting. I have no cramps just bloating and sleep breast. could I be pregnant
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 15 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you, but first:

Are you on birth control?
Do you mean that you are 4 days late?
Have you checked a pregnancy test?
Follow-up: Missed period, light spotting, bloating, tender breasts. Could I be pregnant? 3 minutes later
I'm not on birth control and yes I'm late 4 days. I did check a pregnancy test about four days ago and it was negative. I still have doubts because I still don't have my menses and I'm very accurate on a 27 day rotation.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 12 hours later
Hello, thank you for the followup and I am sorry for the delay

At the time of your expected next cycle is perhaps the earliest that a pregnancy test will turn positive in many cases. It sounds like this is when you checked the test, so I would definitely recommend checking it again.

If the test remains negative, then you probably had a cycle where ovulation either occurred later than expected, or did not occur at all. This can occur for many reasons, and sometimes it occurs without any explanation. I would normally have a patient tell me when they get to day#35 without a period, then check a pregnancy test, and then offer them a short course of progesterone to 'induce' a period.

I hope that this helps and good luck!