Missed period, getting back pain and stomach ache. Any idea what could be the problem?

Dec 2012

Hi! I have a teen daughter with stomach and back pains together. She also hasn't had a menstrual cycle in at least four or five months now. I'm wondering if these symptoms may be related somehow. I'm getting very concerned as she is missing a lot of school because of it. Do you have any kind of idea what might be causing her these pains? Thanks!
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later

Thank you for posting on HCM

From your description your daughter must be suffering from one of the many causes of secondary amenorrhea (absence of menses) which I will gladly elaborate to you and hope that it helps you to better understand the origin of your daughter's pains. I will start by saying that the back and stomach pain and absence of menstrual cycle for 6 months are likely related. The pain probable originates from her pelvis or XXXXXXX female reproductive organs and the cause of that is likely the cause of the amenorrhea. For your daughter, she might be suffering from
- polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS): in which case torsion of cyst might be responsible for the abdominal/stomach pain which radiates to her back
- pregnancy: but since she is probably not having signs such as increased abdomen, nausea, morning fever, increased breast etc we would drop that. But doing a pregnancy test can prove to be useful in ruling out pregnancy. I know you will not think this possible given her age, but believe me, human nature is complex and girls of less than 14 years have had to be pregnant. Pregnancy complications can cause the pain radiating to the back.
- Drug-induced such as use of some contraceptives can cause the absence menses and pain due to side effect of the drug.
- Other factors such as stress, eating disorders.
In summary, you will need your daughter to see a gynobs as soon as possible to identify the cause and provide treatment. Use of pain killers can alleviate her syndrome at the time being before you can see a doctor.

There are other possible causes of back and stomach pain that we can think about such as Acute PID, digestive disorder etc.
A GP can help triage your daughter's problem after examining her completely and decide where to send her to.

Hope this info helps and please do write back for follow-up

Thank you
Dr Nsah
Follow-up: Missed period, getting back pain and stomach ache. Any idea what could be the problem? 7 minutes later
Thank you so much for your help. Just wondering what a GP and acute PID is?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 7 minutes later
Thanks for the follow-up and sorry for using abbreviations, old habits.
GP is a general practitioner ( a physician doctor with genera practice) and acute PID (or chronic depending if the pain has been for more than 1 week) is Pelvic Inflammatory Diseases (which is infection of the female reproductive organs) due to bacteria such as E. coli etc.

Hope this was useful
Dr Nsah