Missed period, dark blood discharge, stomach ache, uncomfortable, angry, mood change

my name is XXXXXXX and i have a few questions about it. my girlfriend haven't had her period yet, it supposed to be today, but instead she bled this dark blood, and she told me that she had a stomach ache, is this alright? and can this make her feel uncomfortable? angry? change of mood?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query

Menstrual bleeding can vary by a day or so and change in colour as red, brown, black etc every month. Dark blood signifies old menstrual blood and is normal sometimes. You have not mentioned which pills did she have for her periods as various pills(birth control pills/Emergency contraceptive pills etc)can change the menstrual amount and flow.

If her periods are "regularly irregular" then it can be indicative of any hormonal imbalance due to any underlying ovarian or uterine abnormality.
During and before the periods it is common for a woman to have mood swings, depression, stomach ache, anger due to hormonal fluctuations and these are known as Premenstrual symptoms.

For pain relief(stomach) ask her to apply hot water bag fomentation. It will help in relieving the pain. Some over the counter pain killers(ibuprofen,tylenol) can also help in it.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up if any.