Missed period and start irregular spotting. What could be causing this?

Hi, I had a question. i was supposed to start my period around XXXXXXX 28th but around that time i started what i thought was spotting. But it's Feb. 9th and i'm still spotting. It's like brown blood, it's just like when you're getting to end of your period. Also, i noticed this happening for couple days now. Whenever i wake up, actually late at night too, a lot of blood will come out but whenever a lot comes out its not just brown there are some red too. Couple days ago when i peed in the morning it was just straight up red blood. so i thought i finally started my period and i guess it didn't? i'm just really confused and worried now. oh, and i never had a sexual intercourse before. so i have no clue. please help. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Irregular spotting/cycles are common in many women.At your age, since pregnancy isnt an issue, hormonal imbalance is a very common cause for these problems. You need to have some tests done. Blood for LH,FSH,TSH,Prolactin. Along with that get an ultrasound of the pelvis to rule out any pathology. But blood in the urine is totally unrelated to irregular cycles. So first its important to differentiate between them. However,menstrual irregularities are common in young women and can be controlled with hormonal medication.So i suggest that you consult a doctor and get these tests done.If there is any abnormality it can be rectified with medicines.