Missed period and pregnancy test was positive. Want to abort. Could I take Mifepristone and Misoprostol?

Hello Doctor, My wife's period date was Aug 28, 2013, Her next period date should have been somewhere at the end of September which didn't occur. When we took pregnancy test the result came as positive. We don't want to have a baby now as we already have one, We have bought Mifepristone and Misoprostol tablet. Is there any side effect in the tablet or we can go ahead. Kindly advise.
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Medical surveillance is mandatory.

Detailed Answer:

To undergo medical abortion, there are certain criteria. The pregnancy should be confirmed by a specialist, the age of the pregnancy and the location is identified through a sonogram and treatment ensued after preliminary investigations. The process is monitored by the consultant and the completion of the abortion is confirmed through an examination and a sonogram.

There are certain disadvantages if this protocol is not followed. There could be an incomplete abortion leading to excessive vaginal bleeding, infection and future infertility. If, by chance, it is an ectopic pregnancy and abortion is tried without knowing this fact, it is still more XXXXXXX

So, with all this in mind, I would ask you to consult a specialist before you start the medication. Though this is the most commonly used medication, medical surveillance is mandatory.

Hope your query is answered. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.