Missed period. Had fever, irregular food intake. On birth control pills. Pregnant?

could i possibly pregnant? my last period was on dec 6, 2011. and i have unprotected sex (withdrawal method) on dec 11 and dec 27. on dec 29, i got fever and took 2 tablets of medicine. i was expecting my period last XXXXXXX 6-10, but until now it didn't show up. 3rd week of december until now i i dont eat regularly and can sustain 1 snack and 1 meal per day. and its not my normal eating habit for last months. i haven't check my weight yet, if i loss weight or not. im still 19. and worried. need your help! im normal, if i skip 1 month delay this month this is my first time ever. i feel heavy and my tummy and feel it empty not like trying to loss weight. im confuse if this is the effect of not eating regularly. if im not pregnant what could it be? if i take birth control pills now will this prevent me from being pregnant?

Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Teen Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 57 minutes later

I can appreciate your concern.

Normally in case of sexually active female, missing of period is indicative of pregnancy unless proved other wise. You had unprotected sex last month. Again the act was in mid cycle.

Your periods were regular before and delay is for the first time as you said.

Please understand that there are chances of pregnancy even if withdrawal method is used. This is not a sure method of avoiding pregnancy.

Please first of all go for pregnancy test. In case of pregnancy, the test will be positive by now.

In case the test is positive, you need to talk to your doctor and take his advice.

Apart from this the problem of having poor appetite, feeling weak needs to be looked for. You are having this since almost a month. Pregnancy from beginning can not lead to this.

Please try following which should help.

>Take plenty of fluids, juices, soups are better.
>Take small frequent meals.Avoid junk foods, soft drinks.
>Take proper rest.
>Do not self medicate.

Please do not take birth control pills now, at least till you get your periods.

I would also like to give a small piece of advice in case you do not mind, please avoid unprotected sex at any time in future. Apart from risk of pregnancy, there are high chances of getting an STD.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up query that you have.

In case you do not have any further query, please accept the answer.

Follow-up: Missed period. Had fever, irregular food intake. On birth control pills. Pregnant? 19 minutes later
thanks for advice, i have a stable partner i'm not worried about getting HIV or STD. we are doing withdrawal for almost 4 years now. and my partner is quite sure he withdraw it before ejaculating. he is confident about it. and i saw it. when he pulls out he even try to masturbate it more to fully ejaculate, but still im afraid.

can you please elaborate more some factors why i missed my periods other than possibly im pregnant? like, does not properly eating cause delay? taking medication for my fever last dec 29 affects my cycle?

and what are some symptoms of early pregnancy? can i take pregnancy test at this early? will it give accurate result? how many weeks do you think im pregnant?

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 18 minutes later
Good to hear from you again.

Please note that before ejaculation a fluid called pre-cum comes out. At times these fluids do contain sperms and there are chances of pregnancy. You are lucky enough till date. Please try some other method as this not reliable.

Normally in case of pregnancy, urine pregnancy test is positive in about 5-7 days of missing your periods. In some cases, the new test are very sensitive and they can pick up pregnancy as early as after one day of missing period. You should try with first morning sample.

The pregnancy days are counted from last date of menstruation. Based on that calculation, if you are pregnant, it is 5 weeks of gestation now.

Common symptoms of pregnancy includes,

>Missing of period.
>Early morning nausea, some abdominal discomfort, some dislike for particular foods.
>Feeling of weakness etc.

Apart from this if we try to look for other causes,

>Some illness like viral, infective fever etc. can lead to delay in period for couple of days at times.
>some hormonal imbalances like thyroid disorder, antibiotics taken can lead to delay in period.

I will still request you to go for pregnancy test, if negative repeat the test after couple of days.

In case both of them are negative, as we both wish it to be, please consult your primary care physician and get your self examined for the problems that you have and missed period.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.