Missed period. Had biochemical pregnancy. Wait a week to confirm? Is it hormone imbalance?

Hi i am sakshi,my periods are always regular. But last month i had biochemical pregnancy and this month again i missed my period for 12 days and my urine test is negative so, doctor prescribed me Modus 10mg tablets for periods to come and also given ovisterone capsules and ask me to come for scanning on 8 day after getting my periods. She said due harmone imbalance i missed my period. My questions are
1) can i wait for 1 more week to confirm my pregnancy and than if the test is again negative i can take this tablets.
2) what is uses of ovisterone tablets and 8th day scanning.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

You have provided me with good information.

Tablet Modus (Medroxyprogesterone) is used to treat abnormal menstruation (periods) or irregular vaginal bleeding. Medroxyprogesterone is also used to bring on a normal menstrual cycle in women who menstruated normally in the past and who are not pregnant or undergoing menopause .

If you are confident of a pregnancy and have signs and symptoms, you could wait for a week and repeat the urine test for pregnancy. But once it is negative you should take the tablets as prescribed by your doctor.

Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) is Ovisterone a naturally occuring hormone produced by the adrenal glands.

It is used for Ovulation induction, improves conception rates & minimizes miscarriage rates.

You were advised to take the tablet and go for scanning on the 8th day to check for development of follicles, once the follicle reaches certain size, it increases the chances of pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up. If you are satisfied with my answers, please accept them.

Follow-up: Missed period. Had biochemical pregnancy. Wait a week to confirm? Is it hormone imbalance? 1 hour later
what is biochemical pregnancy is it decreses chances of pregnancy, and i dnt have any pregnency sighns and symptoms except missed period and and what if i have take modus 10 mg from today and even after 5 days if i dnt get periods means.
Answered by Dr. Radhika 3 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Biochemical pregnancy is the clinical term used when pregnancy is tested positive on blood and urine test, but not documented on ultrasound scan. This can some time mean a very early loss of pregnancy before it was documented on the scan.

So the tablet Modus is being given to regulate your period now after the biochemical pregnancy. If you take it after 5 days, there are chances the periods may be delayed.

If the periods do not happen with Tab Modus, your gynecologist may supplement with other combined pills.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you Good Health.