Missed period. Feeling cold, have fever, fatigue. Sign of menopause? Why are there hot flashes?

I'm a 51 years old woman and did not have (for the first time) my period for over 2 month. At night I feel cold then fever around 100-101 F then I sweat all night. I feel perfectly fine during the day and do all my work without any problem. I went to my doctors who did all blood work and everything came negative. However the FSH was high at 37. Finally the doctor said that could be a sign of menopause. Could the hot flashes that comes at that time be associated with fever? This has been going on and off for the last two months.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Raised levels of FSH are indicative of menopause. The hot flushes are sometimes associated with a mild rise in body temperature which is not worrisome.
Hot flashes occur in up to 40% of regularly menstruating women, so they often begin before the menstrual irregularities characteristic of menopause even begin. During these period many changes can occur and make oneself feel different. If these are trouble some, discuss the options of hormonal vs non hormonal treatments for hot flashes with your GP and start the treatment.
If there is a daily rise in temperature for last two months then it is best to rule out the presence of any systemic infections with the help of few blood tests under the guidance of your physician. Mild viral infections can also cause such a mild febrile sensation.
Taking Vitamin C supplements will be helpful in increasing the overall immunity.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Missed period. Feeling cold, have fever, fatigue. Sign of menopause? Why are there hot flashes? 1 hour later
Thanks for answering my question. I've seen a fevers specialist a month ago and she suggested that the only thing left to do is a cat scan to see if there is any lymphoma or tumor any where in the body. But as I mentioned to you I feel totally normal during the day. It is only at night when I get the fever and once I take an Advil or Tylenol I sweat and the fever goes down again.
Do you see that there is a possibility of the above mentioned concerns or just stick with the menopause symptoms?

Thanks again for your reply.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If the fever you have subsides on taking Tylenol then a systemic infection is a likely possibility. You can get yourself evaluated for lymphadenopathy as your physician has suggested.
The hot flushes due to hormonal changes are not usually affected by taking tylenol.
Getting a complete evaluation done including a blood culture and blood tests like ESR, CRP, etc will be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.