Missed abortion, ecosprin, wysolone, second pregnancy. Benefits and side effects of medicines ?

i am 34 years old female.recently i had missed abortion at 8 weeks. i have been prescribed ecosprin 75mg and wysolone 10mg. please let me know the benefits and the side effects. when can i try to conceive next. can i plan to conceive without undergoing the prescribed medication. this was my second pregnancy. i already have a child aged 7 years.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 5 hours later

Ecosprin and wysolone are usually prescribed for APLA (Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome)
which means there are lupus antibodies which make the clots in the blood and causes micro thrombosis in the placenta leading to miscarriage.

Most important antibody is ACA means anticardiolipin antibody. It is an autoimmune response of the body for which we give steroids like wysolone.

Aspirin can cause gastrointestinal disturbances.

Low molecular weight heparin is a better drug which can be continued till second trimester.

Wysolone should be gradually withdrawn. It is better to stop steroids 5 days prior to ovulation.
As far as your miscarriage is concerned there can be other causes also.

Please provide me with the details of the questions mentioned below as this would help me in suggesting you better:
1. Did you get investigated for TORCH, Thyroid profile?
2. Did you take any drug for fever during your pregnancy?
3. Did you lift any heavy weight?
4. Was your blood pressure normal during pregnancy?

I would like to provide you with specific suggestions after knowing the details.

Awaiting your reply.

Wishing you good luck.

Follow-up: Missed abortion, ecosprin, wysolone, second pregnancy. Benefits and side effects of medicines ? 13 hours later

Thanks for answering my query.

I was not under any medication during my pregnancy. Prior to conceiving I had urine infection(large number of pus cells) for which I was given antibiotics – nitrofurantoin and levofloxacin. I conceived the the immediately after completing the antibiotic course. Can this be a reason for missed abortion.

During my pregnancy my BP was normal. In the first ultrasound no cardiac activity was noticed. I underwent D&C and was prescribed Tablets – Zocef 500, Methergen, A to Z, Meftal Spas. Later investigation suggested that my tsh, torch and blood sugar levels were normal. I still haven’t got my periods though it’s almost a month since the bleeding stopped.

Is it safe to take ecospirin and wysolone without any other investigation. I have been prescribed to take these medicines once I get my periods. Are these medicines beneficial for avoiding further missed abortions or miscarriages. When can I plan to conceive . The doctor has asked me to wait for atleast six months.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 28 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up,

Yes fluoroqunilones like levofloxacin can cause spontaneous abortions and birth defects.Since you have conceived immediately after this, one can think of this has a cause.

You should take ecosprin and wysolone only after APLA test.

Six month waiting period is fine.

I would suggest you to stop these drugs a month before you plan to conceive.

Meanwhile you can take folic acid tablets.

Any further query is most welcome.