Miscarriage, vomiting, stomach ulcers, taken Nexium, Bentyl, painful sneezing

5'5 130lbs. 2 months ago i had a painful miscarriage which resulted in vomiting pretty much daily. after several er visits and different medicines to stop the vomiting, i was diagnosed which stomach ulcers and nexium stopped my vomiting. bentyl helped the stomach pain. 2 days ago, i had a hard sneeze and got a sharp pain in my lower left rib. it sticks out a little now, easily noticeable looking down at my ribs and i asked my neighbors opinion and they could see the difference also. my stomach was already painful because of the ulcers but now i have even more pain because of my ribs. it really hurts if i sneeze (i sneeze a lot), or laugh. did i really mess something up by sneezing?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 52 minutes later

This visible lump on the lower left side of ribs can be due to pulled intercostal muscles which has resulted in a hematoma (collection of blood after injury) formation causing this lump or it can be a due to a cracked rib. One can crack a rib at any age from sneezing but it is usually more pronounced at an old age. Hence most likely this pain and lump formation after hard sneeze can be due to pulled and strained intercostal muscles.

You need to get a x-ray or preferably a CT scan of the area done which can locate soft tissue injuries very easily. Apply some cold compresses by wrapping ice in a towel and take some anti inflammatory pain killer like ibuprofen and paracetamol (acetaminophen) after consulting your general physician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Miscarriage, vomiting, stomach ulcers, taken Nexium, Bentyl, painful sneezing 1 hour later
i aggree with the ice too help with the pain, but i cant take the ibruprofen becouse the ulcers came from using them and stress.
Follow-up: Miscarriage, vomiting, stomach ulcers, taken Nexium, Bentyl, painful sneezing 33 minutes later
i originally had an appt with a gi dr but ive spent a month waiting on it. my appt for my ulcers is on thursday but should i have them focus on my ribs before my ulcers? or do you think they will automatically try to figure out the rib problem? i want my stomach problems to go away so i can be a normal 23 year old and do things. instead im in pain every day for the past 2 months. it even bothers me when i try to sleep. laying down hurts, but i gotta do it.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

For stomach ulcers, it is better to avoid ibuprofen but acetaminophen and tramadol can be taken as pain killers after consulting your doctors. You are going to consult your gastroenterologist on Thursday and you can mention about the rib swelling to him. He will prescribe you suitable pain killers for it which do not interact with your peptic ulcers. Both peptic ulcers and rib swelling can be tackled at the same time.

For the peptic ulcers, you will be prescribed suitable antacids and proton pump inhibitors by your gastroenterologist. In addition to the prescribed treatment, you should avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.

Hope this answers your query.