Miscarriage, trying to conceive, ovulating, CT scan radiation, postpone trying

After a miscarriage seven months ago, my husband and I have been trying to conceive again, so far without any luck. Due to his work schedule (military) we have little opportunity to make this happen. I will be ovulating in three days, but am due to have an abdominal CT scan done in five days. Should we postpone trying? What would the risks be that early in conception? We are desperate, any help would be appreciated!!
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 29 minutes later

As far as my opinion goes, I think you need to wait.

My suggestions are considering the below facts:

1. Exposure to CT scan radiation can affect pregnancy.
2. I am not sure the reason why abdominal CT was advised. It is better to wait till the reports of the scan is known. I wish the reports turn out to be normal, but if not, your doctors may put you on treatment for the same which can affect pregnancy.
3. Have your doctors specified the reason for previous miscarriage? Recurrent miscarriage can occur in some women, especially if a cause is expected and the cause was not treated.

So keep patience, take your time and things will be fine. You should be able to conceive as you were able to once in the past. I would suggest you to complete the CT scan and based on its result, the next steps can be taken.

bye for now. If there are any other query that you wish to ask me, you can write back to me. I will be glad to answer them.

Wish you the best for the times to come.

Follow-up: Miscarriage, trying to conceive, ovulating, CT scan radiation, postpone trying 20 hours later
If I conceived one or two days before the test, would that still affect the pregnancy? Would there be an increased risk of miscarriage? Would the radiation levels that early after conception affect the pregnancy? I read that the levels are below 15 rad and the risks are considered 'negligable'

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 3 hours later

Good to see you back.

You are right, there are no studies of CT scan's ionizing radiation found to cause problems in foetus or pregnancy continuation. It would not increase the chances of abortion.

The point was trying to make in my earlier answer was to wait for One month till the tests are over. This may clear off a few issues. It is not a hardship and there does not make much difference in the whole life planning. Relax and keep patience.

Wish you Good Health.