Mirena is expired and having periods twice a month. What could be the reason for painful intercourse?

Infertility Specialist
Hi my mirena is past its expiry by 2 years I now have periods twice a month and pain during intercourse and smelly discharge. Could I have an infection?
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer: remove mirena Detailed Answer: Hi, it is possible that you could be having infection. Please visit a gynecologist to get mirena removed immediately. Wait for 3 months before taking decision to reintroduce mirena. If you still feel pain after one month of removing mirena, please get an ultrasound of pelvis to check endometriotic cyst or pelvic inflammatory disease. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol. IVF & Infertility specialist