Mirena IUD, sore hips

Hi there. I am 33 years old and just had the mirena iud inserted about a month ago. Since then I have been aware of growing soreness in my hip joints and saecrum. I am very physically active and fit and don't remember feeling this sore. Is this soreness related to the IUD? Is it a sign of a problem? Also, is there silicone in the IUD that I should be wary of?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Mirena coil contains levonorgestrel - a hormone which is likely to help your bones and not likely to cause any kind of hip or bone pains.Some patients do complain of such a hip pain but none of the studies show a correlation of mirena coil with hip and joint pains. It might just be a coincidence.

You can take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen for relief.

It does not contain any silicon. It has been seen that removal of the coil does not cause any improvement in the pain. It seems to be just a chance association.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Follow-up: Mirena IUD, sore hips 9 hours later
Thank you Dr. Tayal for that good news. However, I want to make sure that we are talking about the same IUD. The Mirena IUD I have is white and is sort of in the shape of an anchor. It doesn't look like it is in the shape of a coil. Are we talking about the same Mirena IUD?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back.
Yes we both are talking about the same anchor like mirena coil.
Be comfortable and stop worrying.
Sincerely my answers are acceptable and Wishing you an early recovery.