Minor head injury, mild headache, lightheaded, leg numbness, CT scan not done. Did I suffer a concussion and do I require scanning ?

I suffered a minor head injury 2 days back. Hit my head against a cabinet( wooden) when I got up suddenly from underneath it. Hit the back part of my head pretty hard(or so it felt). It was a distance of 1-2 feet. I am 33 y/o healthy male. No LOC, no confusion, no amnesia of the event or immediately before. I had no symptoms whatso ever for 2 hours. On day-1, I had a mild headache and some lightheadedness. On day-2, for a few hours the headache and lightheadedness (not vertigo) continued. I also had some numbness of Lt leg and weakness of Rt. hand for few hours that spontaneously resolved. After 28 hours, I was completely symptom free. Due to insurance issues and also since at that time I did not feel that my injury was serious, I did not get a formal evaluation or a CT scan done.

However today ( after 48hours of injury) when I was driving my car, I had stopped at a stop light. When I accelerated my car(from stop), due to inertia my head went rapidly forward and back. Immediately I experienced severe lightheadedness for 15-20mins, which slowly resolved. I did work out at the gym( on the treadmill and lifted light weights) afterwards and this did not exacerbate the symptoms. Also I am having some trouble concentrating and at times ( today)finding it difficult to use a few words(no slurring, but unable to recall certain words immediately to use in a speech). Also I find myself a little clumsy and have dropped things twice. I do not know if this is due to anxiety or a true neurological symptom.I have been a trained paramedic and have some medical knowledge.

My questions:
Did I suffer a true concussion? Since I never had any LOC, No confusion, NO amnesia
Do I need imaging studies
How do I manage the lightheadedness?
How long will my symptoms last?
Is Chronic Subdural Hematoma a possibility even though the trauma trivial? head travelled forcefully for 1-2 ft before striking the cabinet
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later
Hello and Thanks for the query.

Firstly i need to assure you that you are not suffering from any head injury related issues based on the symptoms given to me. Nothing to suggest concussion of the brain historically. As the trauma is trivial (minor) it would have not caused acute sub dural hematoma (SDH). As your symptoms are only for 2 days it cannot be chronic.

Acute SDH usually has features of raised ICP like headache, nausea, vomiting and sometimes loss of consciousness with seizures and none of these are seen in you. Regarding the light headedness i feel it to be related to your inner ear problem something similar to benign positional vertigo.

I do not think imaging studies are warranted at this time.

Usually light headedness starts after trivial trauma and triggers start when the head is turned in various directions and lasts for less than a minute. This is a temporary problem and can be controlled with vestibular sedative medicines and labrynthine exercises.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find yourself in better health soon with the help of your ENT consultant and get started on the medications and exercises.

I thank you again for the query and hope you find this reply to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Take care. Bye

Follow-up: Minor head injury, mild headache, lightheaded, leg numbness, CT scan not done. Did I suffer a concussion and do I require scanning ? 2 days later
Dear Dr,

Thanks a lot for your reply. It was very reassuring. I have two additional questions:

1. I hit my head again today(albeit lesser intensity than my first episode). No symptoms expet for a mild headache(2/10). My question is since my first head injury was not considered a concussion, does today's injury act cumulative towards any brain symptomatolgy? In other words, Does the two incidents put together make my brain more vulnerable in the near future if I get hit on the head again. Now I am not a professional athelete or anything like, that, it was pure coincidence that I had two knocks in a span of few days, but such coincidences seem to happen, and in case I get another trival injury, will that produce a concussion?
2. DO I need to take any precautions in avoiding lifitng heavy weight or participating in gym activites?

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your valuable input into this.
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later
Thanks for the query

Regarding repeated trivial injuries to the head, i can think of one sport which is boxing where they get repeated punches on the face and head.

But none develop any neurological problems like concussion. Small injuries like yours is common in every one's life and i will assure you that this will not lead to any serious problems.

Regarding the other query there is no restriction for any physical activity in you due to the above said problems.

You can even participate in gym activities. So be cool, stopping thinking and take care.