Ask a Urologist   »  

Minor cuts on penis foreskin, bleeding, applied neosporin. Reason?

ENT Specialist
I am a 57 yeears old. 5' 11'' male. I weigh about 190 pounds.
I am in good health and dont have any major health issues that I know of.
I am not circumcised. About 2 monts ago, after having sex i noticed that i was bleeding from couple of cuts on the foreskin right beneath the head of the penis. I had minor cuts before, but they were never a problem.
This time though, the cuts have not healed. And I noticed that there are more minor cuts on the foreskin.
I have been applying neosporin ointment once a day , but the cuts are not healed.

Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 31 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Non-healing of the cut wounds could be due to the certain factors like presence of diabetes (increased blood sugar), reduced immunity, poor hygiene and the location of the wound.

As per your history you have mentioned that you are perfectly healthy person, but have you got your Blood Sugar levels checked? If so, is it normal? Secondly, dryness of the fore skin could be one of the major factor for development of the minor cuts. Did you have any physical contact again after this incident? As the age progress, recurrent trauma over a particular region induce fibrosis of the surrounding area leading to delayed healing.

You can try using Neosporin ointment for twice a day, once a day application might not be beneficial.

I would be looking forward for your answers, after which I can summarize the answer for your query.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow-up: Minor cuts on penis foreskin, bleeding, applied neosporin. Reason? 12 hours later
Thank you . I have not tested the blood sugar levels. I will .

Is 1% hydrocortisone ointment a good alternative to neosporin.
Can you suggest a good antibiotic ointment that may be used?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

Please get the blood sugar tested at the earliest. Secondly, I would like to suggest you few measures which will help in healing:
1. Wash your genitals with cool water regularly atleast twice a day
2. After the wash, XXXXXXX dry with a soft cloth
3. You can use NEOSPORIN Ointment containing HYDROCORTISONE, twice a day
4. If the cuts do not heal even after the above measures, consult a good skin specialist
5. Once the cuts have healed completely, you can use moisturizing lotion to prevent drying of the skin

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar.