Milky white foul smelling discharge. Not extremely itchy.

I have something going on "down there". I have type 1 diabetes and thought it was just a yeast infection due to high blood sugar (I am not well controlled). I have had my so called yeast infection for quite some time now (about 3-4 weeks) and tried to cure it with AZO pills. On Monday I got pink eye. I went to urgent care, they prescribed me some drops and I went home. I have been washing my hands religiously, and taking the drops as directed. It has helped some, but now I have pink eye in both eyes. I googled to try to figure out what was going on and saw something about gonorrhea. This terrified me. I do NOT have yellow discharge, or pain while urinating, however I DO have a milky white foul smelling discharge. I did some research and I think it could also be bacterical vaginosis. I don't think it's a yeast infection, I am not extremely itchy. Please help!
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 36 minutes later

Milky white foul smelling persistent vaginal discharge with a history of diabetes is likely to be bacterial vaginosis. The history of uncontrolled diabetes can make it refractory to treatment.

Bacterial vaginosis is usually associated with super added fungal infections and if not treated vigorously is notorious for recurrence. Another common reason of recurrent infections is simultaneous improper treatment of the partner. Your partner can also be infected simultaneously and if that is the case, he can be reinfecting you repeatedly every time you involve in an unprotected sexual intercourse.

Vaginal swab culture sensitivity will be helpful in determining the antibiotic which will be most suitable for your infection. You could get this done through your primary care doctor or a gynecologist.

Treatment of the condition is generally with vigorous use of antifungal drugs orally along with antibacterial agent in order to treat any super added infection that might have been present.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Milky white foul smelling discharge. Not extremely itchy. 32 minutes later
Should I be worried about the pink eye with discharge in both eyes? Ive been on eye drops for about 48hours, it clears it up some but by the time I need another dose they are red and have discharge. I am very concerned about this because I want to make sure it is not related to my vaginal issues.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

There are reports of ophthalmic (eye) infection have occurred due to genital infections. Such instances have been reported in individuals with poor personal hygiene.

The infection in your eyes is not likely to be related to the vaginal infection if you have been washing your hands frequently with disinfectant solutions and maintaining good hygiene. Irrespective of the nature of infection, eye infections can be treated. Continue with the eye drops prescribed to you. If they do not clear up in 3-4 days time, I suggest you to consult your ophthalmologist for review of treatment. You may need a better antibiotic eye drops.

Gonorrheal infection is associated with a yellowish foul smelling discharge. The swab test that I mentioned in my earlier reply is needed to differentiate from other bacterial infections.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.