Milky white discharge, regular periods, negative pregnancy test. When should I get a period?

Hi, my last period was on Monday November 21 2011. Based on a 28 day cycle, I would be 19 days late now. The most my cycle is 33 days, so about 14 days late in reguard to that. I am pretty regular. No weight gain or stress, nothing new in my life. On Tues January 3 2012, I notced some milky white discharge and that was it. I took a pregnancy test today and it is negative. When should I get a period? What is causing this?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your concern.

You have mentioned that you have already tested for pregnancy, but still this remains a valid possibility.

It is possible that the urine pregnancy test kit you used was faulty, or it was a little too early for it to test positive. So I suggest you repeat the urine pregnancy test and for confirmation, you can even get a serum HCG levels estimated, which is far more sensitive as well as very specific.

The other possibilities include:
1. Hormonal disturbances.
2. Just a normal variation.
3. Thyroid dysfunction.
4. Dysfunctional uterus.

So it is worth considering a visit to your OBGYN, and also get an ultrasound scan of the whole abdomen and pelvis along with a hormonal assay and a pap smear.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do write back to me if you have any further concerns.

Follow-up: Milky white discharge, regular periods, negative pregnancy test. When should I get a period? 47 minutes later
So I just took one today, I made sure to do everything correctly. When would you recommend I make another appointment to see the OBGYN? Also if I were to be pregnant how come it wouldn't be showing up on the home pregnancy test?
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 37 minutes later
Hello again Orsinimel.

Thank you for the follow-up.

You can make a visit to your OBGYN may be in two weeks, not later.

Regarding why your home pregnancy test turned out negative, there could be a couple of reasons for that.

First, the test kit you got could be defective.

Second, you might have performed the test with a urine sample which was not the first early morning sample.
Third, the levels of HCG, the hormone that is tested might be too low to be picked up by this home urine pregnancy kit, (Which are generally not very highly sensitive), and
Finally, you may not be pregnant at all.

Hope the answer was of help to you. Please feel free to write back to me if you have any more doubts.

Please accept the answer If you have no further concerns.

Wishing you a good life.

Dr. Yogesh