Milky discharge from breasts, not pregnant, not breastfeeding. Should I be worried?

In the shower I was squeezing a pimple on my breast and a milky discharge came from my nipple. I squeezed the other breast and milk came from that one as well. I am not pregnant. I had a baby 18 months ago and stopped breast feeding 9 months ago. Should I be worried?
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
A milky discharge from the breast is common due to mild hormonal changes in the body upto two years after the child birth.
Chronic breast stimulation, such as from frequent breast self-exams or sexual activity also is one of the common causes of galactorrhoea. If you are having normal regular periods then having a pregnancy is a remote possibility.
The other possible causes are mammary duct ectasia, an underactive thyroid gland, tumor (prolactinoma) or other disorder of the pituitary gland, etc.
All these causes can be ruled out after some simple blood tests and a detailed examination from your gynecologist.
You can wait and watch for 7-10 days for it to subside spontaneously and if it persists then the cause needs to be investigated.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.