Mild upper abdomen pain with no heartburn or blood in stools. Do I need endoscopy ?

Gastroenterologist
Question
i have very mild upper abdomen pain but there no heartburn or blood stools as my stool is perfectly fine and no constipation, ive discomfort in my upper abdomen and flatulence with burps, when i eat its fine and after an hr after eating i get very very slight gnawing pain, my history is tht i had very bad food habits like after school i stayed home for 2 years and i skipped the whole breakfast and eat lunch at 4 pm thn some tiffin and thn very heavy dinner at 12 am night and sleep, now i realised my mistake and im taking breakfast , i have this pain since 1 month i went to doctor in saudi arabia where i live and they took h pylori test and it was negative , i tried dompirone (sme name liek tht ) and protozol , they didnt work as they worked when i was taking then it came bck, after many researches in google i came across non ulcer dyspepsia or fuctional dypepsia and the sypmtoms r quite matching, upper abdomen discomfort but nt very painful its very mild and gnawing as if im hungry thn very slight burning feeling which last fr 5 secs , but no constipation or any other problem, i eat fine and sleep fine without problems but i alwys burp and flatulence, pls help me do i need endoscopy ?? im scared of it Thank you,
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.
You are having dyspeptic symptoms.
You may require a course of PPI medications for relief.
An upper GI endoscopy is the right test to be done for evaluation if there is no relief with medications.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Mild upper abdomen pain with no heartburn or blood in stools. Do I need endoscopy ? 35 minutes later
Respected Doctor

Aha, may i know wht is PPI and wht its used for ?? Could you prescribe me the good ones ?? Jst fr information :)) One more question, if i dont take these PPI medications can it go on its own after few months ?? Well doctors say upper endoscopy is done when there r bloody stools and persistent abdominal pain , difficult swallwing or severe nausea ^^ May i know the cause for dyspepsia and why is it caused or occur ?? Thank you so much Doctor

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 23 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
PPI are medications used to treat acidity related pain including the gnawing pain that you suffer from.
There are many different types of PPI available. You can ask your doctor to prescribe you esomeprazole.
If there is ulcer, then it has to be treated. Milder form of gastritis may resolve on its own.
Not for bloody stools, but for black stools, upper GI endoscopy is done. There are many indications for upper GI endoscopy. Persistent upper abdominal pain which you have is one such indication.
Upper abdominal discomfort is dyspepsia. There are umpteen number of causes involving the stomach, intestines, pancreas and certain systemic diseases and sometimes after medications like painkillers

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Mild upper abdomen pain with no heartburn or blood in stools. Do I need endoscopy ? 13 hours later
A good symptom of Dyspepsia is when you have pesistent pain in upper abdomen and for dyspepsia which is not a life threatening problem i think so endoscopy is not necesary at the very beginning, may b ill try to take PPI like u said and if it doesnt work then i need to definately go for endoscopy, so doctor should i try PPi first or should i go for endoscopy first ?? Let me know, its persistent pain but it comes and goes and it doesnt stay very longer, some days i feel nthng and some days i feel it mild :)) Let me know

Take PPI first.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini