Mild upper abdomen pain. Tested negative for h pylori. Not cured by protozol. Do I need endoscopy?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
very mild upper abdomen pain and the symtoms are very similar to that of functional or non ulcer dyspepsia beacuse i had h pylori test 1 month ago and it was negative. I was prescribed with protozol for a week but didnt work well as it came bck. Pls help me, is dyspepsia goes on its own afte few months or is it gona stay lifetime ?? how to get rid of it ?? Do i need endoscopy ?? im scared of endoscopy
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 9 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing in

Dyspepsia can be managed with lifestyle and stress management

With your age you should keep healthy with good lifestyle

It does not stay for lifetime but yes there are ups and down with diet and stress

You may avoid endoscopy and follow these instructions : [Anyway endoscopy is not harmful if needed]

1] Avoid spicy, fermented meals
2] Do not have heavy meals
3] Avoid smoking and alcohol
4] Wear loose clothes
5] Do not stoop
6] Do not lift heavy weights
7] Raise the head end of your bed
8] If Obese lose weight
9] If under stress - Manage stress levels by meditation and exercise

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of doubts
Wishing you a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Mild upper abdomen pain. Tested negative for h pylori. Not cured by protozol. Do I need endoscopy? 3 hours later
AHa, is it mandatory tht i need to take PPI medications or it will go on its own ?? How long does it take doctor ? Also some days ive mild pain or fullness and some day i feel completely normal, one other GI doctor told me to try on PPI but PPI might have adverse side effects and can cause back and side pains, pls help me doctor, should i worry or should i jst let it go so tht it will go on its own gradually ?
Thank you

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing in again

PPi are established safe for a period more than a decade

I would suggest you take PPi for acute exacerbation only and follow the life style modifications I have mentioned earlier

Hope this clears your doubts
Wishing you a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Mild upper abdomen pain. Tested negative for h pylori. Not cured by protozol. Do I need endoscopy? 19 minutes later
Thank u so much doctor, well may i know how many days shud i folow this PPI medications ?? n wht do PPI normally do ?? Also may i know the reason fr dyspepsia ?? (i was normal and all in sudden oneday i felt like bloated n pain), many forums scare me tht dyspepsia will be a lifetime problem, yes im followin like u said , it feels a lot better whn i mde changes in my lifestyle of taking breakfast n eating 6 small meals, sometimes i hear sounds in stomach (rumbling) n flatulence odor is bad sumtimes, pls suggest me :)) Thank u so much fr the above tips :)) awaitin ur reply

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 8 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Explaining the pharmcokinetics of any medicine is out of scope of online forums

Dyspepsia could occur because of many reasons

But in your age it is junk food and stress

Flatulance with bad odor suggests some form of intestinal infection

You should add a probiotic for atleast two weeks

PPi can be continued safetly for two weeks

Hope all clear
Wishing you a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Mild upper abdomen pain. Tested negative for h pylori. Not cured by protozol. Do I need endoscopy? 16 minutes later
Thank you so much doctor, doctor will dyspepsia subside if i jst change my lifestyle and not taking PPI ?? How long does chronic dyspepsia last ? (more than 6 months ?? ) Ill consult the local doctor here for PPI, thanx a lot ill rate your service.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your words

As I have mentioned earlier take PPi for two weeks or so , once the acute phase subsides you may just continue with lifestyle modifications

Chronic dyspepsia is a vague term and not a disease so just forget it and take lot of care

Hope this helps
Do not hesitate to write back in case of concern
Wishing you a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Mild upper abdomen pain. Tested negative for h pylori. Not cured by protozol. Do I need endoscopy? 9 minutes later
Thanx a lot doctor :)) i jst do like u said , many other doctors are first recomending me to do endoscopy first :)) So right now endoscopy is not mandatory right doctor ?? :))) Thank you and have a great day

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 4 minutes later
Yes XXXXXXX

At this stage it is not mandatory

Hope I have cleared all your doubts
Wishing you a speedy recovery