Mild sneezing, running nose, sore throat, coughing. Had taken Claritin. Is it any allergy ?

About a week ago, I thought I was having allergy problems.( Multi-floral XXXXXXX and Honeysuckle were blooming in my area.) I had mild sneezing, runny nose, etc for a couple of days then those symptoms pretty much went away. I had taken Claritin for 3 days. Since Wed. I have been bombarded with coughing, gagging and spitting up lots of phlegm. Mostly clear, some light yellow and thick. At times, since Wed. I have run a low-grade fever. 99.6, 99.4, 99.8. I don't have any other symptoms and would feel fine, but am tired from lack of sleep because I can only sleep about an hour and a half to 2 hours at a time, then I have to get up to cough (sometimes retching) and spit up phlegm. I don't have a cough except to bring up the phlegm. My throat has not been sore and I have no other symptoms except for some hoarseness. I have been "sniffing" sea salt water up my nose and taking a spoonfull of local honey 3-4 times a day.
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 22 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
You seem to have developed flu like symptoms and should go away in few days.
Just take hot drinks,do saline gargles and steam inhalation two times a day.
There is no need to take any anti biotics at the moment.
You may repeat your Claritin for few days more.
These simple measures should make you all right however if your temperature increases or your symptoms worsen ,then you may have to contact your doctor for the prescription of antibiotics,
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.
Follow-up: Mild sneezing, running nose, sore throat, coughing. Had taken Claritin. Is it any allergy ? 21 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. I wonder tho, why I should take Claritin when I have none of the symptoms Claritin or other antihistamines are used for...Sneezing, Runny Nose, Itchy watery eyes, Itchy nose or throat.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 11 minutes later
Claritin can help you in reducing the coughing.