Mild sharp pain on side of neck and lower neck close to shoulder. Having intermittent pain. Is it serious?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I've been feeling mild sharp pain on my each side of my neck and my lower neck close to my shoulder. It has been a week now it's mild the pain comes and go throughout the day. What could be the cause? Is this something serious?
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscular pain

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for your question.

The pain you describing seems coming from your neck itself, most likely muscular because you still young otherwise I will say it is arthritis in your neck.

Have you been doing unusual activity recently? It might be the cause.
Also It could be related to the way you set at work.

My advice is to use simple analgesia and exercises your neck (physiotherapy can help)

Wish you speedy recovery.