Mild pancreatitis, stomach pain. No gallstone or high triglycerides. Reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my boyfriend suddenly had a really bad stomach ache and he went to the hospital to get it checked out and they said he had mild pancreatitis. they didn't keep him at the hospital and sent him home after. he's 21 and he's never had a drink or done drugs. it doesn't run in his family so its not genetic and he doesn't have a high amount of triglicerides or gall stones. the doctors couldn't figure out what the cause was. i was wondering if he will ever be able to drink. he is a little upset that he never got the chance.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later

Pancreatitis can be idiopathic where no specific cause is found.

Drinking is not mandatory for life. If he has had pancreatitis once then there is every chance of its getting precipitated on having alcohol.

Since he has not ever tasted it, it is easier for him to avoid it. Good health is more important for him right now.

Be close to him. Make him understand that there are many more important things in life than alcohol or drugs.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: Mild pancreatitis, stomach pain. No gallstone or high triglycerides. Reason? 3 hours later
i was also wondering if he has to monitor his diet as well. like eating low fat foods instead of fast food. we usually go out to eat at restaurants so would he have to be more health conscious about the food he picks to eat?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Being conscious in choosing the things he eats will be helpful. Low fat foods are preferable. Quit nicotine and caffeine. Have food XXXXXXX in proteins and carbohydrates.
Taking small frequent meals will help. Avoid oily and spicy foods.

Hope my answer is helpful.