Mild headache, nausea, gas, sharp pain. What can I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
mild headach, nausa really bad first thing in the morning, pains on right side one really sharp pain very low on right side, for past 5 months
some gas (not pregnant)
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 50 minutes later
Hi there.

I can understand your concern over the problem that you are facing. Kindly do answer a few questions for me to be in a better position for me to help you.

Have you had such headaches previous to 5 months ?

Are you experiencing seeing flashing lights, sensitivity of your eyes to light, giddiness, ringing sound in the ears ?

Do you have acidity in your stomach, any upper abdominal pain, chest pain ?

Are you on any medication ?

Do you experience any change in menstruation, any lower abdominal pain ?

According to the clinical picture provided it appears you are having severe migraine attacks. Migraine is a severe headache which usually affects women. It presents commonly as a one-sided headache, associated with nausea, vomiting, intolerance to loud noise and bright lights.

Since you have mentioned that you have gas, it could also be a symptom of Acid peptic disease. Quite commonly persons who have acidity tend to have severe headaches as well.

I would allow you to take a pain killer but since you do have gastric symptoms, a pain killer could make it worse. Hence, I would advise you the following points which you may practice strictly for best results.

After eating a meal, do not lie down immediately but you may lie at an angle with pillow support for half an hour before lying down flat. Try to consume food less in spice, more of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water.

Drink a glass of cold milk every night before going to bed.

Avoid smoking, eating chocolate, drinking caffeine or alcohol as these can trigger a migraine as well as increase stomach acidity which will eventually aggravate your headache.

You may apply a pain killer gel containing Diclofenac lightly to your forehead if your headache persists during an acute attack. You may take an Acetaminophen tablet 500mg to abort an acute attack with some risk, under medical supervision.

For migraine there are 2 kinds of treatment necessary for treatment. One is to abort an acute attack and the other to prevent attacks altogether, called Prophylactic therapy. To abort an attack usually NSAID drugs like Diclofenac are used but they can cause harm to the stomach. For prophylactic therapy, good medication like Propranolol, Flunarizine which helps prevent acute attacks and should be taken regularly as your Neurologist advises.

Kindly do reply to my queries.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Mild headache, nausea, gas, sharp pain. What can I do? 40 minutes later
No headaches previous to 5 month
No seeing flashing lights or sencitivity ,giddness or ringing of ears
No acidity to stomach,no upper adominal pain or chest pain
No Medications
I went to Obgyn and he said there is nothif gyn wrong with me
Don't eat spicy food I drink plenty of water I don't smoke and drink a little caffine on the weekends and DON'T drink alochol I was thinking of more like colon cancer symptoms!!!!
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 7 hours later
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply.

It is good to know you do not have any of the associated symptoms of gastritis or severe migraine.

Colon cancer presents with recent significant loss of weight, blood in the stool, sometimes alternating constipation and diarrhea, abdominal discomfort as well and usually seen 90% cases in those over 50 years.

The other possibility for early morning headache could be refractive error of eye which may need Ophthalmological examination by your Doctor. Other cause could be chronic carbon dioxide retention. As soon as you wake up in the morning, kindly take in 5 long XXXXXXX breathes. This will remove excess carbon dioxide and reduce headache.

Do consult a Neurologist if this does not work as migraine can present in various forms and your headache should be considered as migraine unless proved otherwise. Do discuss the diagnosis and treatment strategy for your headache as well.

Keep away from sunlight, loud noises, avoid chocolate and caffeine as these can trigger a migraine attack.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing speedy recovery.