Mild fever, fatigue, weight loss, joint and muscle pain and high ESR count. Taking penicillin and dolo

General Surgeon
Symptoms: Mild fever, Joint and muscle pains (severe back and hip/side buttocks pain, some time on knees) and fatigue + some weight loss
My blood result reads high ESR count (120mm per hour) and high ASO titre (615 IU/ML)
Medicines taken: Penicillin Tablets (400 mg), doctor advised to take few Penidure LA doses (not yet started), pain relief tablet (Dolo 650) works for a day and pain comes again which is my problem, please advise how to get rid of the pain and fatigue
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 2 hours later
As per your query,it seems to be Rheumatic fever.
Taking your past history of throat infections and the present history of Fever with joint pains,fatigue and weight loss;raised ESR,raised ASO titre,Rheumatic fever is considered.
I saw your reports.Your Echocardiogram is normal.But,you have to get your heart checked regularly with Clinical examination,ECG.
Simple paracetamol will not be sufficient.You should take Anti inflammatory drug like Ibuprofen and corticosteroid tablets.
Add another antibiotic like Clarithromycin tablet.
Long acting Pencillin must be taken in injection form monthly for a period of five years.Please start the injection.
Once you start taking the above mentioned drugs,your symptoms will come down.
Nothing to worry.
Wish you good health and speedy recovery
If you have any query,i will clarify further