Mild dry cough, chest pain with no fever. X-ray report showed signs of acute bronchitis. Concerned

Cardiac Surgeon
MY wife has occasional mild dry cough, no fever or blood in sputum. And Mantoux skin test showed induration of 8 mm and erythema of 12 mm (normal considered 10 mm). The x-ray report shows signs of acute bronchitis from my reading of it. In the blood report, PCV and MCH are not normal. All the reports are attached. She was complaining of slight chest pain sometime back when my Ayurvedic doctor told us to take these tests. What should we do? Can i wait till Monday evening to go to a physician ? Does she have TB ?
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Nisarga 2 hours later

In Indian scenario Mantoux test alone can not be taken into consideration. Many of us have sub-clinical infection, and have taken BCG vaccination. Only in kids, Mantoux test can be considered. Along with that even your wife's Mantoux test is just borderline positive.

Chest X-ray findings are also not supportive. In a case of Tuberculosis, chest X-ray will have typical features which can be diagnosed easily. In blood tests, most reliable is ESR which will be elevated more than 100 in case of TB.

Chest pain may be because of repeated coughing.

You can definitely wait till Monday to XXXXXXX the physician. I don't think she has got TB. Don't worry. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Hope you are satisfied with my answer. Good luck.
Follow-up: Mild dry cough, chest pain with no fever. X-ray report showed signs of acute bronchitis. Concerned 22 hours later
Good afternoon Dr Nisarga,
Thanks for the information as I feel much relieved and freed of anxiety (as to whether she had TB).
Could you recommend the diet for her over the next week; things to avoid and what vegetables and fruits to be had in specific. She is a vegetarian who is not averse to eating boiled eggs. Is it recommended to have boiled eggs at this juncture ? Would appreciate if you advise me on this
Answered by Dr. Nisarga 12 minutes later
Good afternoon XXXXXXX,

There is no specific diet pattern which suites her. But I recommend her to be on high protein diet. Cereals have high protein. There is no particular fruit which is bad. Let her consume lot of fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Egg can be continued, one per day-rich in protein.
Avoid going to the dust outside which can aggravate bronchitis symptoms.

All the best.
Dr. Nisarga