Mild chest pain radiating to left shoulder area. 50 yr old with stage 2 hypertension, taking ramipril, nifedipine. Should I worry

Cardiologist, Interventional
i am 50 yr old female with stage 2 hypertension controlled with ramipril 10mg daily; nifedipine 30mg bd; metoprolol 50mg bd; spironolactone 25mg daily; aspirin 100mg daily with stage 3 ckd. I have recently been experiencing mild chest pain - central radiating to my left shoulder area and lasting about 1-3 mins - should I be concerned about this.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 3 hours later
Thank you for your query.

In view of the age, hypertension and chronic kidney disease, the new-onset chest discomfort of the type that you have described needs evaluation.

If the discomfort is occurring at rest, it is advisable to get an urgent evaluation done to rule out unstable angina and acute coronary syndrome. If it is happening during exertion, then it is not so urgent. Yet, in view of the risk factors, it is better to get evaluated for coronary artery disease at the earliest possible.

The initial step will be do a complete clinical evaluation for all possible causes of chest discomfort. A baseline ECG also needs to be done. If an acute coronary syndrome is suspected, it will also be necessary to do blood tests for cardiac markers like CK-MB and troponin levels. An echo of the heart is also ideal. Other tests will depend on the clinical suspicion and the results of the initial tests.

The management will depend on the findings of the tests and the exact diagnosis.

If you can upload the results of the investigations, I will be happy to assist you to interpret the results and plan further management.

With regards,
Dr Raja Sekhar Varma, MD,DM
Consultant Cardiologist