Mild and regular lower abdominal pain, pain spreading to testicles. Cause and cure ?

I am suffering from low abdominal pain, which occurs quite frequently and lasts almost for a day. Happening from last 6 months. The pain is in veins sometimes on left and sometimes on the right side, below the navel which also hurts the testicles. The pain is acute at times...
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with helpful information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

There are a few possible causes here including: irritable bowel, kidney stones, diverticulosis or possibly some type of infection.

Diverticulosis is unlikely given your young age.

Kidney stone may be a consideration and can be quite painful with symptoms which wax and wane over time. A complete urinalysis and an xray will help your doctor rule this out.

Irritable bowel presents with crampy abdominal pain not unlike what you have described. Stress usually makes this worse. Sometimes patients may have intermittent diarrhea or constipation as well. There are a few anti-spasm medications which might be considered on a trial basis for you which must be obtained from your doctor.

Infection also seems less likely given the absence of fever and the fact that symptoms are not constant or progressive.

Thanks again for the query. I hope my response has served to be helpful and informative. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Mild and regular lower abdominal pain, pain spreading to testicles. Cause and cure ? 9 hours later
Dear doctor, I am not having any of these symptoms- fever,diarrhea or constipation.

And the pain is mild and remains for the entire day almost (at time pain gets acute), it hurts the testicles as well.

Is it serious or what it is actualy? Y it is happening?
Hello and thanks for the followup.

First of all, what you're experiencing does not sound like a serious or life threatening condition. However, I realize this is frustrating and you want to get to the bottom of it. In the absence of being able to examine you, I am somewhat limited but I will still work I'm providing you with some good possibilities.

I have to consider the possibility that you may have a small kidney stone. Kidney stones closet significant degree of pain which can be sharp at times and can sometimes radiate into the testicles. The only way to truly diagnose this would be to check a urinalysis as well as some type of imaging studies such as an x-ray or CT scan of abdomen.

One other possibility would be some type of hernia. A hernia is a small weakness in the abdominal wall allows part of the intestine pushed through. For a hernia, you would very likely feel some type of lump in the lower part of the abdomen or the groin.

I really think it is time for you to consider making up an appointment to see your doctor. Again I do not think this is any type of life-threatening condition.

I thank you very much for submitting your question and follow up.

I hope my response has served to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns, I will be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert