Migraines, neck pain, metallic taste. Had root canal and crown done. X-ray taken. Solution?

Neurologist
Question
I have had migraines and tension headaches all my life. However in the last few weeks I have started getting a different type. Pain in neck radiating to whole head. Metallic taste in mouth. Pain is not there in the morning when I get up but within 3 - 5 hours it comes on - everyday. Pain is very bad. If I lie down the headache will be gone within 1 hour. Metallic taste remains. I recently had a root canal and a crown. Dentist has taken X-rays and says there is no problem and no infection. Have not had any recent head injuries or falls.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 7 hours later
Hello

Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

Regarding the change in the character of the headache, based on the given clinical details I personally feel you are suffering from occipital neuralgia. Though some consider it to be a part of migraine other consider it to be a totally different entity.

Occipital neuralgia is characterized by pain and tenderness over the posterior scalp which gets better with an injection of local anesthetic blockade of the occipital nerve on the affected side. Medications like amitryptylline and topiramate will be of benefit in some of them.

Regarding the metallic taste, common causes are dental problems and use of medications. In the absence of other symptoms, it is unlikely that a metallic taste in your mouth indicates serious disease.

So I personally feel you are suffering from occipital neuralgia along with migraine and tension type headache's. My recommendation to you is to XXXXXXX your Neurologist for a good clinical examination and consultation. If you do not respond to oral medications, Botox injections would be of benefit to you.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Migraines, neck pain, metallic taste. Had root canal and crown done. X-ray taken. Solution? 9 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thank you for your response. I'd like to clarify something and ask a further question.

Upon researching this, my pain is not 'electrical'. It is more of a severe tightening. Also two questions; 1. why would this not be present when I am sleeping or lying down? 2. why does it take a few hours after waking for it to come on ?

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 13 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the follow up query

From the clarification provided to me, tightness or tension in the head is usually seen during activity in the day time and during the time of stress. XXXXXXX and external stress is low or absent during the time of relaxation and sleep. Most headache's are better after a nap or sleep and then re-appear later in the day time. These kind of headache's are commonly seen in tension type headache as well as in migraine.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist