Migraine,painful,unconscious,severe headaches

hi doctor,
my mother is suffering from severe migraine headaches. she used to get the migraines attacks once in 2-3 months which were very painful. But the matter of concern is that in the past 25 days she has had 3 migraines attack for which she had to be rushed to the hospital all 3 times. She tends to get unconscious due to the severe headaches. wanted to know if there is any way these migraines attacks could be prevented as they don't show any symptoms of occuring. it just happens to occur any time of the day. i am really concerned about my mothers health.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

I assume that your mother's symptoms is that of severe migraine. When you don't treat migraine properly, it can increase in severity and frequency over time.

If one has disabling headache as your mother has, she has to be put on prophylactic medicines so that it does not increase in severity. You have not mentioned to me about the medicines she is on for migraine.

Severe migraine usually does not cause loss of consciousness. If one has these we have to investigate for other causes in the brain which can cause headache. Other causes like mass in the brain, vasculitis and reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndrome.

If you have done CT(computer tomography) angiogram of the brain and an EEG(electroencephalogram) please provide me the details. Also provide me the details of the medicines used by her in the past. Find out if she over uses any pain medicines for the headache.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.