Migraine, vertigo, vomiting, mental fogginess. Midrin and Butterbur ineffective. What else can I do?

Nov 2013

I get migraine without the headaches, includes vertigo, vomiting, mental fogginess. Have done elimination diet, now going gluten free, did CT, MRI, still happens. Went to ENT, not ear related. I tried Midrin, made heart race and I threw them out. Trying Butterbur. I don't know what else to do. Got them last year for first time, I am 42, female. Is debilitating and I am not used to being sick. Moving my head an inch will make me throw up. What else can I do?
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your discomfort on account of severe migraines.

First of all, preventive medications would be required, as you have such frequent symptoms. These include medications such as beta blockers, topiramate, divalproex, calcium channel blockers, etc.

For releif of symptoms, medications such as rizatriptan or zolmitriptan are useful.

In addition, adequate sleep at night (7-8 hours) and eating food on time are useful. If there is stress, then, reducing it is also helpful.

Normal MRI of brain excludes other serious problems related to the brain.

I hope it helps. I would be pleased to answer any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad