Migraine, stress. Is this due to having three children or is it something serious?

i have suffered from migraines for 12 years , its in my family , they were usually caused by stress specifially if i was coaching a football team and i usually got 4 per year however ove the past year i have been getting 1 every 4 weeks or so , not much pain involved but the XXXXXXX is a nuisance and occurred 4 times in a day once, i was wondering if this could be due to haveing 3 small children under 6 including a newborn or whether it could be something more serious
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 14 hours later

From the information given to me it looks like you have familial migraine with XXXXXXX Common triggers for migraine are stress and lack of sleep. Also from the information given to me it looks like there is gradual increase in the frequency of migraine attacks for last one year (one per month). Also you are noticing frequent XXXXXXX without headache.

So I personally feel auras are difficult to treat. If they are not getting converted to headache, best is to pass them off without any medications. If auras are followed by headaches, I feel you have to start on prophylactic medicines to prevent migraine becoming more chronic. Stress can be in any form and having 3 small children under 6 and a new born is one of them.

So I personally recommend you to consult with a Headache specialist or a Neurologist for getting yourself started on prophylactic medication. If auras are transforming in to migraine headaches, try medications like combination of aspirin and paracetamol at the onset of migraine auras.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist