Migraine pain at night, pain in eye muscles, rapid eye movement during sleep

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
i am getting migraines at night and one symptom is pain in my eye muscles. feels like i have been reading all night. wondered if it was possible to have too much rapid eye movement when sleeping.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later
During sleep, rapid eye movement only occurs in XXXXXXX sleep and happens for a short duration. Before and after rapid eye movement, the eye muscles are completely relaxed and they do get adequate rest.
In your case, the more likely cause of pain in the eye muscles may be due to migraine itself or a refraction error or eye strain.
You need to get your vision and extraocular muscle movements evaluated under the guidance of a proficient ophthalmologist. Inflammation of the eye muscles needs to be ruled out.
Meanwhile doing a few eye relaxation exercises and applying cold sponges on the eyes may help the eye muscles to relax. Avoid using computer or watching TV and wash your eyes frequently.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.