Migraine headaches, mini frontal lobe stroke on right side. EEG & thoracic echo negative, lumbar puncture shows high pressure. Treatment for stroke?

Neurologist
Question
migraine headaches & XXXXXXX strokesRecently I had a migraine headache that the end result was a XXXXXXX frontal lobe stroke on the right side. I don't understand what's going on?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 4 hours later

Research shows that the risk of stroke is high, particularly in young women (of childbearing age) who have classical migraine (with aura). Between 20 and 40% of strokes that occur in women with migraine seem to develop directly out of a migraine attack – called a migrainous stroke, but it is unclear whether the migraine attack actually causes the stroke.

This risk is further increased in those who have other risk factors for stroke such as smoking or high blood pressure. In addition, people at risk for stroke and migraine need prophylaxis for migraine and stroke prevention.

Though no recommendations exist, I personally feel 75 mg of Aspirin along with medications for migraine prophylaxis would be beneficial in you. However we need to exclude certain condition like CNS vasculitis and mitochondrial disease in you. The bottom line is that you need to be in touch with Stroke specialist who can order required tests in you for exclusion of the said conditions.

I thank you again for submitting the query. Hope, I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R.
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Migraine headaches, mini frontal lobe stroke on right side. EEG & thoracic echo negative, lumbar puncture shows high pressure. Treatment for stroke? 33 minutes later
I had an EEG & a Thorasic echo both were negative. I had a lumbar puncture done & it showed that my pressure was on the high side of normal. What are my next steps or test? I ask because Im not able to see a neurologist at this time due to me moving to a different town.

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 5 hours later
Hello and Thanks for the query.

As most tests are already done and normal in you, you need couple of tests more to like vasculitic profile, serum lactate and pyruvate for excluding CNS vasculitis and mitochondrial disease.

If no cause found one can assume stroke to be caused due to vasospasm caused by migraine attacks. Treating migraine would reduce the risk of recurrent stroke in the future.

I thank you again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. I you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Wish you good XXXXXXX

Sincerely,
Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Migraine headaches, mini frontal lobe stroke on right side. EEG & thoracic echo negative, lumbar puncture shows high pressure. Treatment for stroke? 40 hours later
how long is the recovery on a stroke like this?

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 10 hours later
Hello and Thanks for the query.

Usual recovery period for any stroke is somewhere between 4-6 weeks.

Wish you good health.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Migraine headaches, mini frontal lobe stroke on right side. EEG & thoracic echo negative, lumbar puncture shows high pressure. Treatment for stroke? 4 hours later
even though I have past the recovery time because mine happened at the end of October. I'm still noticing neurological mess ups every once in awhile which concerns me.

Hello and Thanks for the follow up.

Though recovery period for stroke is somewhere between 4-6 weeks, its variable from individual to individual. If persists for long, I advice you to be in touch with the Neurologist for possibility of re-evaluation.

I thank you again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist