Migraine headache, MRI showed dermoid cyst. What possible treatment for this?

Had a migraine headache my dr sent me to a neurological dr who did an MRI he said everything came back fine no tumors no strokes but he did find a cyst which he thinks is a dermoid cyst and stated there was no alarm for concern but said it could have been there since birth he said this was not the cause of my migraine he has ordered a cat scan should I expect the worst surgery or what kind of treatment should I expect if any what is the best or worse case scenero dr said he believes an MRI every year will do but is sending me for cat scan
Posted Fri, 22 Jun 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Baheti 3 hours later

I can understand your concern and anxiety, but just stay relaxed. There is no reason to worry.

Developmental cystic lesions such as dermoid are common incidental findings seen when we do brain scans for some or other reason. He is sending you now for CAT scan since he wishes to confirm the dermoid which may show calcification, etc.

They need to be operated only if they are big and causing pressure symptoms, obstruction, etc. For the above, we need to have serial imagings and that is the reason he is planning to do serial MR images every year.

Surgery is quite safe and effective for dermoid. But as of now, don't worry. Surgery will be considered only if the size of dermoid is serially increasing or if it causes symptoms.

Hope I have answered your queries. Let me know if you need more help with this issue.

Wishing good health