Middle toe hurting and swollen, difficulty walking. Not red. Ideas?

My middle toe started hurting yesterday, and is still painful this morning. It look a little swollen, but not red and really hurts to try and bend it. It is also painful to walk. I am 29, reasonibly fit, don't remember having banged it, any ideas please?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Idris Shariff 24 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

As I can gather from your query, you have had a painful swollen middle toe since yesterday with no reason to suspect any injury.

I would like to know certain things from you:

1) Is the toe warm and tender to touch?
2) Have you had similar complaints in the past?
3) How did the pain start and when did you notice the swelling?

It could be great if you could get an X-Ray of the affected foot and share the reports with me.

In the meanwhile you could take some over the counter pain killers and give it some cold fomentation, which will provide you some relief from the pain.

I would also want you to strap it for 2weeks to make it immobile which will aid in better healing of the toe.

Hope I have satisfactorily answered your query for now, looking forward for the details I have requested so that I can help you in a better way.

Wish you good health.

Best Regards