Ask a Dentist   »  

Metallic taste in mouth, no other symptoms, in good shape, exercising regularly

I have had a metallic taste in my mouth with no other symptoms for about a week.
I am in good shape, exercise regularly and am 53 years old.
I am 5'5" tall and weigh 134 pounds.
Posted Sat, 9 Jun 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
A metallic taste in the mouth can be due to dysgeusia. Dysgeusia is the distortion of the sense of taste.A very common cause is deficiency of zinc and vit B3.Try taking some multivitamin-multimineral supplements for some days and see if the symptoms persist.

If the symptoms persist then other possibilities have to be probed.These include poor oral hygiene,fungal infections on the tongue or in the mouth area,endocrine disorders like diabetes,hypothyroidism, acid reflux and anxiety attacks.

Try having citrus juices, lemonade and foods marinated in vinegar. They not only break through the taste, but also help in saliva production that helps in washing away the altered taste. Every time you brush your teeth, make sure to brush your tongue also.

If the symptoms persist then consult a physician and get your blood sugar levels and thyroid hormone levels done. Also get a dental check up done.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.