Ask a Dentist   »  

Metallic or gas smell in mouth, taken Clindamycin for tooth surgery, now taking Florastor

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I smell like a metal or gas smell in my mouth? i am 47 years old, i had a gasteric bypass 7 years ago. i recenlty took Clydomyicin for a tooth suegery which casued me horibble direarrea now i have taken Florastor a few days ago diarerrea has subsided but this weird gas metal smell in my mouth is weird
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 24 minutes later

The Clindamycin which you took is known to cause antibiotic induced diarrhoea due to overpopulation of a kind of intestinal bacterium called Clostridium defficle diarrhoea. The other side effect is Florastor is a medicine with bacteria to increase population of the good bacteria which were killed by Clindamycin in the intestine. If the diarrhoea does not subside you may need different antibiotic to eradicate the infection.

Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetebles. Have some yoghurt and curds as well to improve good intestinal bacteria. Drink plenty of water. Maintain good hydration. If your condition isn't improviong you may need drug change after consult with your Doctor.

Keep your blood pressure under check. Your water pill may increase risk of dehydration so you need to be careful and do discuss this with your Doctor.

Give it a few days and the metallic taste will disappear once medicine course is over. Follow up wiith your Doctor to monitor your treatment.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for your follow up queries.