Met with motorbike accident. Knee is swollen and bruised. Given strong antibiotics to clear the infection. Appears red. What to do?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I had a motorbike accident in September last year. My knee was badly swollen and bruised, but according to the hospital nothing was broken. There was also a deep abrasion on the knee which healed. In December it became swelling profusely and had a red colour. I was booked for an operation to drain it, but the doctor then said it was only infection and put me on extremely strong antibiotics, which cleared the infection. It's been 10 months now and it still looks bruised and is extremely painful to the touch, however it's not painful to walk.
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 59 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query,

From your description there seems to be some inflammation over your knee.
As you are earlier treated for infection of knee 10 months back, there might be possibility of flare up of infection again.

I suggest you to get some blood test like total leucocyte count (TLC), differential leucocyte count (DLC), erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), c-reactive protein (CRP), done and consult your doctor for examination of knee.
Meanwhile give rest to your knee and take antiinflammatory drug like ibuprofen to reduce pain and inflammation.

Hope this will helps you. Feel free to ask if you have any further query.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.