Met with an accident and liquid started coming from ear. Chances of brasial fracture?

Neurologist
Question
brasial fractureI was in a car accident in 2004 in my car went off the bridge and my face went through the windshield since then I have had liquid coming out of my ears that is clear every time I go to the doctors my doctor say that my ears are fine is it possible that I had this Fracture and didn't know it is it possible that I still have it and how can I find out if I did have it and why are my ear still leaking clear fluid since 2004 ?
Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 3 hours later

It is indeed very much possible; you might have a fracture and resulting communication through which cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) is leaking out into your ear. Since the fluid is clear, the suspicion is still stronger.

I would recommend you to get evaluated by a neurosurgeon. He/she can examine and recommend focused studies like MRI/CT to detect the spot from where it is leaking. Such communications are potential routes of entry of infections to the brain and so they need to be tackled seriously.

Hope this answers your query. If you have more queries, I will be happy to answer.

Good luck...

Follow-up: Met with an accident and liquid started coming from ear. Chances of brasial fracture? 16 minutes later
is there any way they can do this because I am 6 weeks pregnant

Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 15 minutes later

Thanks again.

If you are pregnant then MRI would be better option. CT scans are not recommended during pregnancy because of risk of radiation exposure.

Further treatment plan can be made after evaluation.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other enquiries.

Good Luck...

Follow-up: Met with an accident and liquid started coming from ear. Chances of brasial fracture? 3 hours later
I think I have been suffering from meningitis also what should I do about it I have a lot of pressure behind my head neck and spine and a lot of pain is there any way they can test me for this entreat me for it the same time

Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 10 hours later

Meningitis is not a likely possibility for you at this stage as it is a very severe condition, most of the times and diagnosis is not based just on headache and neck pain.

You most likely do not need evaluation for meningitis at this point.

The feeling of pressure in the head and neck could be cause by low CSF (CerebroSpinal Fluid) pressure due to persistent CSF leak.

At present, I think you need only evaluation to search for the site from which you are having leak.

Good luck..