Met with an accident. Started getting muscular pain. Not cured by medicine. Safe remedy?

On Friday last week I was involved in a one car accident wherein the steering wheel airbag deployed. I was also wearing my seatbelt. I was checked out in the ER and discharged. My question involves fiery pain which has developed over my chest, under the breasts, underarm, shoulder and around to the scapula, worse on the right. I have been for some time, taking suboxone and wonder what non opiate options I would have for pain control. Advil q 3 to 4 hrs is quite hard on the stomach. Is there anything else to effexctively deal with what I quess must be nerve injury?
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
It seems that you have suffered a soft tissue injury due to deployed airbag. This is mostly a muscular pain and needs rest, pain killers, hot fomentation and local analgesic gel for relief.
The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( dont repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food.
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.
For a persistent pain, you need oral muscle relaxants like chlorzoxazone for relief.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.