Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Mercury thermometer breaks and spills in the house. What are the risk?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1835 Questions
Is it XXXXXXX if a mercury thermameter breaks and spills in the house?If it is XXXXXXX what should be the corrective action to take? I have one month old baby in home.
Thanks in Advance!
Posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
Thanks for your query.
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

The air in a room can reach contamination levels just from the mercury in a broken thermometer - just a few drops. So all mercury spills, regardless of quantity, should be treated seriously. Metallic mercury slowly evaporates when exposed to the air. When liquid mercury is spilled, it forms droplets that can accumulate in the tiniest of spaces and then emit vapors.

So following steps will help you:
-Clean the room in which thermometer got broken daily
-Keep room well ventilated
-Restrict access of your child in that room for 4-5 days
-Meet physician if you see following sign/symptoms of mercury poisoning in children: Red cheeks, nose and lips, loss of hair, teeth, and nails, transient rashes, hypotonia (muscle weakness), and increased sensitivity to light.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Mercury thermometer breaks and spills in the house. What are the risk? 22 hours later
Dear Doctor,
Thank you so much for your prompt reply!So kind of you!

I have another question, Should I do any screening tests to my baby in order to re-assure that he is not infected? And how long it takes to completely evoporate this mercury?

Again I thank you so much for your valuable reply!

Thanks and Advance!
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 8 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

There is no standard guideline for evaporation time. But in my view you can resume normal utilization of room after 1 week.

There is no need to test mercury exposure in your child. Just monitor symptoms mentioned in primary reply for 2-3 weeks, and XXXXXXX physician if they are present.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor