Mental health problems. How long will I have to be hospitalized? Likely costs of treatment?

For the specific attention of Dr Susanta Padhy, I can not believe the change in my attitude to Mental Hospitals. You have completely altered my hard held fears in but 3 days, thank you. I have been and tried to book an appointment with my GP only to find there is a two weeks delay. I told the receptionist quite strongly that it was for a referal to a Psychiatrist. She has promissed to get me a cancellation as soon as possible. I am upset that I have been delayed, I actually feel that I need and want hospitalisation as soon as possible. I have received your comments re admissions in India. Item 3 the second setting is the type of option I would have thought ideal in my case, Do you agree?. I have to ask an awkward question how long do you think I will be hospitalised say if I was in India. Weeks, Months or Years?. Also and again if I was in India would I begin my treatment within an observed open ward with other Mental Patients like myself or under more closely supervised secure ward/room. I only ask these questions to help prepare my mind. If I were to come to India, what would be the likely costs of my treatment, per month say? Would it be possible for me to come to India for Psychiatric Treatment? I hope to inform you when I am due for Psychiatric examination. Again Sir many thanks
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 9 hours later

Item 3 that we were discussing may be a good option "to start with" in India.

I think coming to India may not be a viable option because of the following reasons

1. Delay for planning travel, expenses for travel, accommodation etc, so that by the time you start treatment here in India, too, might take more than 2 weeks.

2. More importantly, you need follow up with your psychiatrist which will not be possible for you practically

But, still to give you a rough picture, it might need few weeks (minimum) to few months (maximum). Again remember, we all are discussing with you without seeing you

Cost wise, treatment in government hospitals is very nominal (near--free), treatment in private corporate set up might cost you Rs. 10,000 to 20,000 / day in good set up.

Open and closed setup with supervision are available, but varies from place to place, even within India, as you know.

Thanks and best wishes
I will be glad for further query and am available.
Follow-up: Mental health problems. How long will I have to be hospitalized? Likely costs of treatment? 4 hours later
Dr Padhy Sir, many thanks for your response. It is gratifying that I have assessed the situation properly, i.e Para 3 being the best controlled entry situation. One thing perturbs me with my problems is that far from being scared I am desparatly wanting to get hospitalised and get the recovery started. Because of the upset with having to wait for my GP, I showed our correspondence to A Doctor golfing friend, who to start with was thinking items suggested would not be necesary until he saw my ancesteral history and in particular my early experiences. However there are no Mental Hospitals in Britain now, so I have to hope I can be committed to a Psychiatric ward at a General Hospital. Is my current rush to be hospitalised irrational? It is a pity we could not deal with the matter in India as I have the utmost respect for you. In closing I would like to attempt to say "Mai arpke saat bohut XXXXXXX huea hu." Thank You again
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 8 hours later

I would partly agree with the comments of your doctor friend that rushing to hospitalization may not be warranted without looking to the details.

In fact, as we have discussed previously coming to a conclusion of a psychiatric diagnosis and decisions related to its management aspects ( including decision for hospitalization, type of treatment likely to suit you, how long to treat, how frequently to follow up etc.) does need thorough history and examination.

However, overall dictum is we as a doctor should take utmost precautions so that a client should not be harmed by any means.

Pleasure interacting with you

Thank you very much and all the very best for all kind happiness.