Menstrual cycle period reduced. Should I be concerned?

Mar 2016

From last three months my cycle period is reduced earlier it was 26-28 days now 18 to 20 days. Is everything fine with me?
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 42 minutes later

No, it is not fine. Above cycle is reduced to less than 20 days and indicates one type of dysfunctional uterine bleeding, called polymenorrhea.

There are several reasons related with above condition. These includes stress/ psychological factor, hormonal imbalance, early menopause or in perimenopausal age group, endometriosis (uterine pathology), Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD), thyroid disorder, frequent ovulation due to hyperactivity of the anterior pituitary gland etc.

The possibilities can be narrowed by some investigation like ultrasound scan, LH/FSH, thyroid profile, STD profile, blood sugar, blood estrogen & progesterone level, urine examination etc.

Treatment for polymenorrhea mainly depends upon its underlying causes. So please consult with your gynecologist for proper medication and suggestive measures.

Do some basic things as follows:

1) Avoid stress by yoga/deep breathing regularly 20-30 times at a time.
2) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements
3) Drink plenty of fluids/water and eat vegetables &fresh fruits.
4) Maintain personal hygiene and need adequate sleeping.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen