Menorrhagia,IUD,weight gain,hypothyroidism,hashimoto's disease

I have had menorrhagia ever since I started me period. At age 35, 2 years ago, I had an IUD placed in. This completely worked as my periods are almost nothing. Since then I have gained almost 50 lbs, now have hypothroidism and Hashimoto's disease. I have always had a lot of blood work done throughout my life and have never had thyroid problems until after the IUD. I have heard this can be a result of the IUD. Is that true? Have studies been done on this? Thankyou.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 3 hours later

Menorhagia can be due to varied reasons like hormonal imbalance, polyp, fibroid, bleeding problem, IUD and many other. Progestin containing IUD has been used for treatment of menorhagia.

Women with hypothyroidism have menstrual cycle irregularities, ranging from absent or infrequent periods to very frequent and heavy periods. Hypothyroidism is also associated with weight gain.Hypothyroidism can occur any time in life from birth to elderly.

Thyroid problems are more common in women, especially after childbirth. Studies have shown that progesterone use is associated with decreased T3 and T4. But Hashimatos disease is usually not associated with IUD and in your case it may not be related to IUD

I will be available for follow up queries if any.