Menopause but started bleeding. Is there any chances of getting pregnant?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am 54 years old and gone into early menopause at the age of 39 bu I still bleed now and again. Will I have a chance of getting pregnant I would dearly love to have a child
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX
Unfortunately this chance is close to 0%. There are reported cases of women who got pregnant at this age, but this is extreme rarity;also in these cases assisted reproductive technology is used.
Women in postmenopause often exerience some kind of vaginal bleeding, because your reproductive system need some time to adjust and bleeding/periods never stop in one day or month. Even many years after menopause some irregular bleeding can occur but it usually doesnt mean that you still have ovulation. Also many other disorders( endometriosis, uterine tumors, hormonal imbalance,vaginal wall injuries etc.) can cause such bleeding. Menopause is characterized by sore and sensitive genitals which often bleed especially after masturbation or intercourse.
If you notice excessive bleeding and pain you should visit doctor to rule out something serious.
You can always consider adopting. wish you good luck.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help